Wednesday, July 10, 2013

American Matches

A Box of Vintage Diamond Water-Resistant Matches

An Antique Box of Independence Brand Safety Matches Produced by the B.F.D. Division of the Diamond Match Company in New York, New York







A Fairly Rare Box of California Gold Matches Manufactured by D. D. Bean & Sons in Oxnard, California Between 1979 and 1983




Three Adult Novelty Matchboxes From a Series Produced by The Ohio Match Company in the Early 1960's
        
An Antique Box of Domestic Brand Safety Matches Made in the U.S.A. by America's Own Match Co.
  
 The Front (Top) and Back (Bottom) of a Box of  Domino Matches from the 1940's "MADE IN U.S.A. In American  Factories By American Workers For American Climate" By THE DIAMOND MATCH COMPANY

(Top) A Vintage Box of Fire Chief Victoria Safety Matches Manufactured in the 1950's in Kenner, Louisiana by Trans/Match inc (Bottom) A Two Cent Box of Victoria Safety Matches Produced in the Early 1960's Featuring a Variation of the Same Logo


Two Antique Pocket Boxes of Ohio Safety Matches Featuring Different Logo Designs

An Antique Box of Red & White Brand Safety Matches Made in the U.S.A.






A Vintage Box of Red Top Brand Safety Matches Made in the U.S.A. by The Diamond Match Co.
A Vintage Pocket-Size Diamond Safety Matchbox from the 1960's


A Decorative Designer Box of Ohio Safety Matches From the 1970 's Featuring a Stylized Sherlock Holmes-Like Figure Smoking a Meerschaum Pipe


More Boxes of Ohio Blue Tip Designer Safety Matches Made in Wadsworth, Ohio in 1970 With Very Distinctive Seventies Era Graphics





A Vintage Box of Three Torches Damp-Proof Safety Matches Produced by Trans/Match Inc in Kenner, Louisiana in the 1960's         



An Antique Box of Winner Brand Safety Matches Made in America Sometime Between 1923 & 1940 by the Federal Match Corporation of New York City
A Vintage "Indestructible" Box of AMERICAN SAF-T Brand Safety Matches Made by Theeneral Match Co. in Cincinnati, Ohio
G
 An Antique Box of Congress Brand Safety Matches Made in the U.S.A. by American Safety Match Corporation
  A Vintage Box of Gold Medal Brand Safety Matches Manufactured in the United States by The Diamond Match Co.
A Vintage Box of Protecto Brand Impregnated Safety Matches Manufactured in the U.S.A. by the Diamond Match Co.
 
 Though Originally Manufactured by the Ohio Match Company,
This Box of Rosebud Matches Was Produced by Universal Match ( A Division of Diamond Brands) in Minneapolis, Minnesota Probably Sometime in the Late 1980's

12 comments:

  1. Nice Collections. Thank you for Posting this information...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, and thank you for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the pipe smoking fella and a couple others from that same time (mushrooms/owl and flowers/decoration). I love them, but I'm not sure what to do with them! I thought about turning them into little notebook covers... would it be awful of me to disassemble them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there might be some die-hard collectors who would object, but personally I think that's wonderful idea! I believe you should do with them whatever pleases you most. If you do decide to turn them into notebook covers, I'd love to see some photos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently come across a box of Fire Chief Safety Matches manufactured by Universal Match Corporation in St. Louis MO. I have not been able to find any information on this. They are wood safety matches. The box also says Kitchen Matches 250 Matches. There is a UPS symbol so I know it is a newer box and not one of the really old ones but would love to get some information or history on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I apologize for taking so long to approve your comment (I wasn't aware that you left one until now).

    I wish I could give you more information on your box of Fire Chief Safety Matches, but what I can tell you is that it probably was made sometime between 1973 (when Universal Bar Codes were first regularly placed on packaging of consumer products) and 1987 (when Universal Match Corporation stopped manufacturing matches in the USA). The Fire Chief brand was used by several different match companies through out the years besides Universal including Trans/Match Inc. of Kenner, LA (Which Universal bought and I believe acquired the name) and thePacific Match Company of Tacoma, WA. I do have a box of Fire Chief Kitchen Matches in my collection but it is one that was made by thePacific Match Company in the 1940's: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6Le366qTEKU/VzyrkVhzTpI/AAAAAAAABxU/6kjto1RTAPgFPTb2VrMSh6HKMMXLXP_6ACLcB/s640/Fire%2BChief%2BKitchen%2BMatches.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I have an antique brass match box holder and the match box inside of it is a Pacific Match Co. U.S.A. Dependable Matches box and I was wondering what year that was from please. On one side it says "Strike anywhere" Thank you. I don't know if you know anything about these match box cases or not but it is made of what I believe is either brass or bronze and has a highly decorated enamel top. I believe it has maybe a southwestern look to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please accept my apologies, but due to other interests, I have been seriously neglecting this website and was not aware of your comment until now. I must confess I am definitely not by any means an expert on matchboxes, just an avid collector whose knowledge on the subject is limited to my own collection and information gleamed from the internet.It sounds like you have quite a find, but I am afraid I can not tell you much about it. I believe I do own a few matchboxes manufactured by the Pacific Matches Co. but none are Dependable Matches, a brand I am not familiar with. Maybe someone will see your comment, and be able to provide more information.....

      Delete
  8. i have a box of Three torches universal match corp from st louis mo it has red orange and yellow the three torches label do you kno what era these are briangawenus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a gold medal safety matches, mine has a red background with blue gold medal stamp. Dont know much about it.... Could you please help?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very interesting story of a match box collector he is crazy about match boxes and this is not only his hobby but also his passion which he express by collection of match boxes.pakistan cricket news today in urdu is latest cricket updates in urdu.

    ReplyDelete